East Africa has some of the most lovely vacation sites in Africa. There are 19 countries in this part of the continent, and they are rich in natural resources and exciting locations—for example, lakes, wildlife, parks, mountains, and seaside. East Africa has the best islands in Africa and one of the best in the world. I will be considering some places of interest in this part of the continent. And I will recommend to you the best ten hidden East Africa destinations to travel to. You will love to visit these hidden gems repeatedly without getting tired of them.
Here are some of the best East Africa destinations to travel to for a visit.
1. Maasai Mara National Reserve Kenya: This national reserve will give you the best experience you have been looking for. This reserve has earned its reputation as one of Africa’s most prominent and rewarding safaris. Here, you will have the opportunity to see the big five in a single day; lions, elephants, buffalos, leopards, and rhinoceros. Furthermore, the wildebeest migration is one of the most exciting experiences of this reserve, however, during the July-November dry season. The reserve is filled with vast hard annual wildebeest. Also, you will watch the wildlife moving in their thousands.
2. Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya: This park is an exciting place to visit, especially if you are a bird lover. This soda lake is famous for its incredible view of flamingos and other species of birds. The number of flamingos around the lake depends on the period of the year. However, during the dry season, the number of birds in this lake increase. The water level falls, and the lake becomes more alkaline, creating more algae for the birds to feed on. There are over two million birds and other animals also around this lake.
3. Serengeti National park, Tanzania: Suppose you are looking for an ultimate safari trip to spend some days in the savannah, then this is a place to go. Serengeti National Park is a breathtaking experience. You can camp in the safari and see the big 5. Experience the roaring of the Lion in the safari at night some distance away. Furthermore, tourists can have the opportunity to witness the annual migration of over 1.5 million wildebeest and 250,000 zebras. Tourists usually book weeks ahead to experience it before it happens.
Serengeti National park is also famous for its countless Nile crocodile and honey badger. These are some of the reasons it makes our list of East Africa destinations to travel to.
4. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania: Is Africa’s tallest mountain. It is about 19,340 feet/ 5,895 meters. However, this is one of African’s iconic sights. This East Africa location is one of the best travel destinations for those that love hiking and climbing. Moreover, climbing can take between five to nine-day. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro can be done at any time of the year. However, the best period is from late June to October.
Kilimanjaro has three volcanic cones. They are; Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira. The highest of which is Kibo, although dormant but could erupt again. Both Mawenzi and Shira are extinct. In 2016, World Travel Awards recognized Kilimanjaro as Africa’s leading tourist attraction.
5. Lalibela, Ethiopia: Is certainly one of the best destinations in East Africa to travel to. It’s located in Ethiopia. Situated in the heart of the country’s northern highland. It is a historical town with great religious importance for Ethiopian Orthodox Christians. During the 12th century, it was designed as a New Jerusalem. As an alternative for pilgrims, for those who were prevented from traveling to the Holy Land because of conflict.
Visitors travel from all over the world to see and marvel at these centuries-old rock-hewn churches carved from the earth. Also, there are 11 of these monolithic churches, and each one carved from the rock face. Lalibela is famous for being an awesome African summer destination.
6. Omo Valley, Ethiopia: Omo Valley is in the southern part of Ethiopia. It is one of the remote destinations in East Africa. However, it is a long and rough trip to this side of the country. Those willing to travel several hours into the valley will be rewarded incredible opportunities to visit the villages of some famous tribes. They have remained unchanged for hundreds of years. There are different tribes in this part of Ethiopia, each having its traditions and cultures. Besides, you might witness a ceremony during your visit.
7. Bwindi Impenetrable Park, Uganda: The park is in the southwestern part of Uganda. It is famous for its mountain gorillas. And, its one of the few places in the world you can find this experience. However, visitors are not left out of other interesting sights. Also, Bwindi Impenetrable Park is a home for animals and plant life. These include about 350 species of birds, chimpanzees, elephants, and other varieties of animals.
Moreover, tourists have the chance to experience different activities like hiking through the forest. See the different gorilla families and understand their way of living in the wild—for instance, the grooming method and feeding pattern of how they feed on fruits and bamboo.
Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda: The National Park is a home to wildlife and safari experience. It is about 2000 kilometer square. Firstly, you will have the opportunity of seeing the tree-climbing lions. These are the few ones in the world. Secondly, you can enjoy the kazinga channel boat ride.
Also, you will have a magnificent view of elephants, crocodiles, hippopotamus, and many other beautiful animals. Tourists can also sign up to go with researchers during the day to learn more about this fantastic wildlife.
Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda: Volcanoes national park is one of the favorite places in Africa where you can go for a hike and a close view of mountain gorillas. Its Africa’s oldest park and one of the few best places to see endangered mountain gorilla families.
Besides, tourists have the opportunity to visit each gorilla group and each for one hour. It is one memorable hour to see these gorilla families eat, play, and have fun. It is an amazing experience because there are less than 1000 endangered mountain gorillas in the world. However, this park is home to other rare species of birds.
Nyungwe Forest National Park, Rwanda: This park is also one of the best travel destinations in East Africa to visit. This park contains spectacular arrays of biodiversity. Over a thousand plant species, 300 species of birds, and about 70 types of mammal-like chimpanzees, rare golden monkeys, big baboons, and many others are there.
Furthermore, there is also a different tourist attraction in this park that makes it unique—for instance, the canopy walk, which is about a 90-minutes hike from the Uwinka Visitor Center. And, if you are not scared of height. You can walk through the 91-meter long suspension bridge dangling more than 50 meters about the forest, giving you a view of this fantastic forest and mountains far away.
Tourists can also take a walk to the tea plantation. You can have a whole new experience of farm life and learn how to harvest and make tea for consumption.
In summary, these places are “a must-visit for nature buffs and those who want to see something new and unique. So if you like nature, then you should travel to any of these hidden East Africa destinations. You will get a good glimpse of nature; lakes, wildlife, parks, mountains, and seaside.