Have you ever wondered why your neighbor sneers at you? Or why your co-worker is cranky? Sometimes, for no reason at all, a person doesn’t like you. It gets frustrating trying to find out why someone is always mean to you. Be yourself and smile all the time. Be approachable, helpful, and kind. When people don’t like you, here are some tips to make them ask you to join them for lunch or dinner.
10 Simple Ways To Make People Like You
1. Smile At Them: A smile is contagious. You never know when your smile can cheer someone else up even without saying anything. People are bound to like you more when you are happy and always smiling. Smiling brings out the positive side of someone and shows a more relaxed personality to others. When you show a happy face, it’s like comfort for a lot of people (1).
If you have someone who doesn’t like you for any reason, try smiling at them all the time. And there will be a difference in their reaction soon. A smile expresses excitement or eagerness to see or talk to someone. A smile attracts people to you in a way you can’t imagine. People make judgments based on physical appearance. Therefore they think of you as unfriendly when you are wearing a frown always.
2. Good Grooming For Desirable Appearance: Your appearance plays a lot in attracting or repelling people to you. No one wants to associate with a dirty or smelly person. When people don’t like you for no reason, try putting more effort into your look. But be careful not to overdo it so as not to raise a red flag.
When you look good, you feel good and attract people to yourself. In your effort to looking good, remember that too much of everything spoils the beauty. So be careful to dress up nice and decent, nothing too extreme or extravagant.
3. Be Friendly And Approachable: Nobody likes a grumpy person who gives off a negative aura. People love happy, cheerful people. Be as friendly as much as you can. Never think too highly of yourself; it causes pride and makes you unapproachable. Try to gain attention when people don’t like you for no reason. Engaging in conversation or trying to greet the person is a start. Your attitude is essential in getting someone who loathes you to like you.
4. Be Respectful: Respect is reciprocal, they say. There is nothing more repellent than a disrespectful person. Never force your opinion on others or invade their personal space. Watch out for people’s reactions to things you do, and be careful not to irritate others. If someone is not feeling your conversation, recognize it. Be wise enough to bring the conversation to an end. Respect yourself and respect everyone; it is necessary to win over a person. Have personal boundaries, as well as respect other people’s boundaries.
5. Be Genuine or Authentic: We all have personal beliefs and values, and those things make us who we are. In whatever you do or say, be yourself all the time. Never try to be someone else; people hate fake people. You can only pretend to be what you are not for a while. In a short while, your true self will show up, and you will be considered dishonest. It doesn’t mean you have to show your bad qualities or habits. But be your best self and be authentic, not just for others but for yourself also. In all, everything must be within who you indeed are. The right person will see you and like you for who you are.
6. Compliment People When You Need To: Everybody likes a good compliment. It makes people feel special on the inside and outside. A compliment must come with good intentions. Giving recognition to people makes you friendly and likable. You can make your comments based on their impressive skills, personality traits, or appearance. As long as it’s appropriate, they will appreciate and score you a point. Say beautiful things to others, and you will remain in their hearts.
7. Show Care For Others: Life is not only about you all the time. You never know what someone else is going through. Sometimes your showing care for others makes you more likable. Do something that people will appreciate, even without them asking. Do them a favor or something. When people don’t like you, gain their trust by asking them about their day.
Also, be a good listener, encourage them, and pay attention. Help them financially if necessary. You have to make an effort to care for someone. When you do so from your heart, you’ll find that more people will like you.
8. Find A Common Interest And Connect: An adage says, ‘show me your friend, and I will tell you who you are.’ People who share the same hobbies, personalities, and interests are said to have a relationship. When people don’t like you, look for what you both have in common and dwell on (2).
You can start your conversation from there. Don’t try to force yourself on people who don’t share the same interests with you. When someone doesn’t like you for no reason, try to look for things that you share in common. Come up with ideas to start a conversation.
9. Be An Attentive And Good Listener: Interrupting others is indecent behavior. Learn to listen when others are talking. Focus on what they are saying and ask questions. People like to talk to others and love those who listen to them. Use body language to show attentiveness. Interrupting is disrespectful and annoying; it puts people off.
Also, likable people are always listeners who are curious to learn new things. There are reasons a person dislikes you. You only get to know the reasons when you listen.
10. Lend A Helping Hand: When people don’t like you, helping them is an excellent way to change their impression. So, do something impressive to change their opinion about you. Find out ways to be helpful and supportive of the person. You could also make them help you. Put yourself in situations where they are the only ones that can rescue you. If they offer to help you, you have won them over. If otherwise, kindly move on, or try again next time.