Love: Should I believe in love?
Why It Matters?
If love is true and real, life has a purpose. If some people’s relationships last, ours too can last. We can also find satisfying answers to questions about relationships.
What Would You Do?
Imagine this scenario: Amelia is confused. She has always believed in love. But today, her elder sister forcefully claimed that love is not real but an illusion, based on her personal experience.
Amelia doesn’t want to appear silly. ‘After all,’ she says to herself, ‘My elder sister is more experienced than me and has dated a couple of more guys in her lifetime; who am I to question her?’
If you were Amelia, would you accept that love is just an illusion just because of your sister’s experience with other people?
Stop and Think!
Both knowledge and experience are important, not just one’s own experience but that of others too. People on both sides of the debate are often quick to state what they believe because of their own personal experience without looking at what others may have experienced, which may be different from theirs.
- Some people believe in love simply because they found love and happiness in their relationship. They loved, and they were loved in return.
- Some people don’t believe in love simply because they have bad experiences in their relationships. People took advantage of their goodness and betrayed them.
Consider These Questions
1. Why do some people not believe in love?
2. Does everyone has a negative relationship experience?
3. If love is an illusion—why are some couples still very happy, have a deep, profound attachment to each other despite being married for years
4. If love is an illusion—why is a parent’s love for their children often regarded as the strongest love one can experience.
5. Has anyone claiming that love is an illusion investigated the evidence for themself?
6. How many people do not believe in love simply because of their experience
Why Believe in Love?
According to Statista, In 2017, A statistic from a survey conducted in the United States on whether the respondents believe in love or not shows that some 94 percent of respondents stated they believe in true love, while 6 percent stated they don’t.
This is an excellent reason to believe in love. Many people have experienced love in their lifetime, and you too can.
Finding love is not always easy, yet the effort is worth it. For one thing, you will be more loved by your loved ones. You will experience love and happiness when you keep doing the right thing, that is—in giving of yourself for others.
What can you do to find love and to become more lovable? If you ever feel unloved, do not be discouraged and never judge yourself harshly.
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash