Keeping your home safe and accident-free should be your number one priority at all times. Your house is probably your safe space after a busy day at work. Sometimes you might breathe a sigh of relief showing your happiness to be safe and secure at home. However, statistics have shown a large number of accidents happen at home. Ironically, many people face severe dangers at home that they may be unaware of.
Therefore, you need to take care to make your home safe and accident-free. You need to know how to spot dangerous situations in your home and the necessary steps to take to correct them. Below I have highlighted essential places and steps you can take to keep your home safe and accident-free.
Safety Tips To Keep Our Homes Safe and Accident-Free
How To Keep Your Bathroom Safe
The bathroom is used regularly in most households. Therefore, you should keep yours safe from any accidents and harm. However, the majority of falls and slip-ups happen in the bathroom. This type of accident results in a high number of injuries and sometimes leads to death. The following checks can help keep your bathroom safe.
- Make sure you have a well-lighted bathroom. Children and elderly ones can fall and trip easily when it is dark. So you should get a light that could brighten the entire bathroom.
- Use slip-resistant mats that have rubber backing on the floor. This will help to reduce slips and falls in your bathroom. Moreover, pay attention that you buy the correct mats designed for the bathroom.
- Try to mop-up the floor regularly to avoid water accumulating on the floor.
- All the installations in the bathroom should be appropriately attached and not jiggle when you hold them. For example, toilet paper holder, vanity, mirror, medicine cabinet, grab bars, and towel rack should be firm.
- Ensure that you have grab bars installed in or around your bathtub, toilet, and shower area. This could save lives.
- Electrical appliances, if not handled the right way in the bathroom, could lead to electrocution. As a result, place electrical appliances away from the water. Make use of a floating shelf or cabinet can keep them away from the water.
- Have your electrician to install ground-fault electrical outlets in your bathroom to prevent electrocution.
How To Keep Your Kitchen Tidy and Safe
1. Keeping your kitchen clean and tidy gives you space to work when needed. A small amount of water or food on the floor can be a slipping hazard for toddlers and the elderly. Meanwhile, you should clean up grease and oil from cooking sprays quickly to prevent an accident. Clean your stove and oven after use, but you may need to wait until they have cooled.
2. Keep your kitchen floors and counters free of debris. It is dangerous to work in a cluttered space. Therefore your stove and shelves should be kept clear to avoid things falling of. Moreover, you need to keep clear paths between the stove, fridge, sink, and table. Shards of glass should be disposed of appropriately, and spillage should be wiped quickly.
- Test your smoke detector and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- It is important to store gear and kitchen wares properly to avoid an accident.
- You should install a cabinet designed with safety in mind and place gears within easy reach.
- Heavy items should be stored low, and lighter ones up high on the shelves or cabinet.
- Make use of plastic containers with lids instead of glass bowls to securely stack and retrieve food.
- Leave room for manipulation into and out of cabinets and stack similar items together to avoid dropping multiple items, breakage, and injury.
- Sharp cutting objects like knives should be maintained and kept appropriately.
How To Keep Medicines and Cleaners Safely
- You should install a cabinet with a lock in the kitchen for medicines and chemicals.
- Keep medicines properly labeled, besides it’s best you keep them in their original containers.
- Medicines, chemicals, and cleaning products like bleach, turps, and caustic soda should be kept away from children’s reach.
- Return unused medicine to the pharmacist, or you should destroy them.
- Keep cosmetics, perfumes, and essential oils away from children’s reach.
- Store chemicals used in the garden, garage, or workshop outside the home. You should keep them in a safe place where children can’t see or reach them.
- Do not keep food and medicine with household cleaning products in the same place.
- You need to use household cleaning products according to label directions.
- Avoid mixing household products as they can result in dangerous gases to form.
Electrical Safety Around The Home
Electricity has resulted in many accidents and fatalities. Therefore, you have to treat it with care and respect. If you have kids living with you, it would be best if you make your home childproof. Firstly, you should get an approved contractor to check your wiring installation at least once every five years. Also, have electric blankets serviced and checked regularly. You can have a residual current device installed for whole-house protection.
Secondly, never overload an outlet with many appliances, and be careful when plugging anything in. Also, avoid using appliances with worn or damaged flexes. Do not place appliance cords in areas where you can trip on them. Moreover, get an electrician to check any exposed wires on an appliance or cable.
Thirdly, always make sure you unplug your bathroom appliances after you use them. However, If an appliance appears to be faulty, you should stop using it and have it checked. Remember never to overload an electric socket.
When Cleaning the Lawn
It is important to keep the lawn well cut to see clearly to avoid any potential hazards. You should walk-through around the yard before beginning to mow to remove any debris or toys. Allow only older children at least 16 years old to operate a riding lawn mower to prevent an accident. Most importantly, Keep dangerous objects in an established danger zone area.
You should be mindful of potential contact with pesticides and poisonous plants. If you have young children, you should keep a poisonous plant out of their sight and reach. Besides, people can be injured using gardening tools, so gear up properly with long pants, long-sleeved shirts, safety goggles, and sturdy shoes.
What to Do When Firing up the Grill
You have to prepare your grill to avoid fires and burns properly. Likewise, make sure your grill is clean by removing grease after use to stop build up. Meanwhile, place a water hose or fire extinguisher at close reach in case of emergency to put out fires. Try establishing a safe distance rule around the grill to help keep children, pets, and your home safe.
How To Make Your Pool safe
- You need to set Up Pool & Spa Barriers. Physical barriers like walls, fences, and covers are the first line of defense.
- Using pool & spa covers is another way to prevent accidents. Choose an appropriate Safes Pool & Spa Covers to cover up your pool.
- Always inspect Pool Drains & Drain Covers. Ensure swimming pool drains are clear. However, if drains are clogged, it could result in physical injuries and drowning.
- Clean the pool be properly and regularly. Also, you can make use of chlorine to kills waterborne bacteria and parasites
- Cleaning chemicals should be completely out of reach of children, preferably locked up.
- You must, at all times, remain vigilant and monitor your kids in and around the pool if you’re a parent.
The young and the elderly are most vulnerable to injury or death by falls? From this article, you have seen the dangerous areas where most accidents and falls occur in the homes. Following the steps outline in this article will help you to keep your home safe and accident-free.
The best way to prevent accidents and falls from happening in our homes is good housekeeping. By keeping the house clean and orderly, the leading cause of accidents is eliminated.
Nanna Daniels is a legal practitioner and writer. His practice as a lawyer and a writer is as diverse as his client base. His client ranges from government bodies to banks, private companies in real estate, energy companies, telecommunications to small businesses, families, and individuals.
He is a passionate and diligent analyst of family, sports and business concepts, providing in-depth knowledge and analysis. He has covered topics ranging from family, parenting to entrepreneurship.