Keeping a journal is a great idea, especially one that helps us better understand our romantic relationships. Although to anyone just starting out, it may seem foreign and difficult, keeping a relationship journal is super easy.
And in this post, we show you just how you can keep a relationship journal.
Getting the Diary
Of course, your choice of a diary should be one that is both beautiful and durable. I suggest you get one with a leather cover; those are a bit tougher and keep the pages from squeezing. They should go for about $10 in most cities.
Write your name in the journal (if you want, you can include your email and phone number.) Now, write just why you have gotten it.
You can say: “Dear library, I am getting you because I want to record my love life on your pages.”
Get a safe place to keep it.
How do I write in my relationship journal?
I often tell people that your journal is your conversation with yourself. And if you truly write honestly, pouring yourself out, you will begin to understand both your relationship and yourself better and better.
Here is how you write in your journal:
1. In the first person: imagine your journal to be a friend who never speaks but always has ears open to hear you. (That is what it really is, haha!)
In your writing, address this “friend,” speaking in the first person.
You can say something along the lines of:
“Dear diary, I am writing my love journal for the first time today. I hope it makes sense because it does feel weird.”
2. Write in Your Own Words: be free to fly. Do not borrow any words from the internet. Write your heart out in your love journal as you would do to someone you truly trust.
3. Don’t Summarize: again, write your heart out. This means everything you feel without the need to summarize. Summaries can take out a chunk of information; you do not want that.
What to Write?
Now, you know how to write. But what exactly does a person write in their love journal?
1. Write Out Your Feelings: the good. The bad. The ones you cannot quite understand. Write it all out in your love journal.
Be especially detailed about what caused you to feel a certain way and how this feeling best helps you understand your relationship.
2. Write About Your Own Mistakes: write about the moments you’ve made mistakes. Be careful not to judge yourself for them. Talk about what you have learned; how it makes you better.
3. Write About Your Partner: write in your journal all the things you love about your partner and your relationship with him. It helps to write with great optimism.
4. Journal Your Dates and Tours: if anything, it is important that you keep records of the fun dates and tours which you go on with your lover.
Keeping a love journal no doubt helps your relationship.