Certain factors like genetics, lifestyle, lack of regimen, sun damage, and biological clock(this is the bitter pill you do not want to swallow) can affect your skin’s appearance. The good news is that these best skincare tips can give you the most uncomplicated tweaks that will give your body the most eye-catching moment after getting almost perfection for your skin.
15 Best Skincare Tips That Will Transform Your Skin
1. Know your skin type: A thorough knowledge of your skin type is one best skincare tips you can rely on. Even dermatologists try getting to know your skin type first before offering any further assistance to you. It will be good you have an understanding of your skin type.
That is to say, you know if you have normal, dry, oily, or combination (oily skin in some areas of your face and dry skin in other regions) skin. An absence of this could consequently make your skin look miserable. This could come in the form of breakouts, irritation, inflammation, and the worse if it all- premature aging.
2. Always do a patch test: With various new skincare products being introduced regularly to the market coupled with many promises attached to them. You could really want to try them on your skin too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying some new cosmetics that just surfaced in the market. However, I would suggest that you should carry out a patch test first.
So you will not feel sorry for yourself later on. A patch test can be done by applying a little quantity of the skin care product on your inner arm to check if your skin can tolerate such products in the first place. This way, you would avoid skin irritation and allergic reactions on your body.
3. Keep expired products at arm’s length: You know how you keep your haters away from you, do so with any expired skincare products you have. As a rule of thumb, if you have forgotten the time frame you purchased, ditch it in the trash can right away. All expired products do is to get your skin gunky. The moment this happens, you are worse off than when you started using it.
Therefore, make an effort to check the best before date on any skincare products you are using. For instance, some skincare products have 12M on them- this means you can use it for a year. Others are 3M – used for only 3 months. Most have 2 years and above shelf life. Bear in mind that once a product has expired, it loses its efficacy too. So why the use then?
4. Do not fret over skin purging: Integrating certain new skincare products to your skin routine could make it begin flaring up. You are probably experiencing skin purging now. Annoying, and you are thinking of what next to do to rid your face of breakouts. No need to get yourself worked up over this. More so, do not discontinue the usage of such products. Read our article on how to help your skin purging here.
5. Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen: Regardless of which season of the year, you should always wear sunscreen day in and day out. You will so love its effect on your skin from constant use. Sunscreens protect your skin from getting damaged from the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Moreover, your skin will not have any signs of early aging. Good parts of the body you should wear sunscreen on are your ears, hairline, neck, and chest. However, if you start getting dryness, redness, or tight skin in return, you should upgrade your skin to a higher SPF of 30 and above. Furthermore, use SPF makeup, sun shades, broad-brimmed hats, scarves to get younger-looking skin.
6. Do masks: wearing masks is one of the best skin care tips you can add to your beauty regimen. One benefit of doing masks is that it balances your skin tone. For instance, the use of clay masks can decrease excess oil production, and gel masks help to soothe redness. If you have a tight schedule, you can afford to do a mask once a week or wear an overnight mask. The results of this will be visible in a few weeks.
7. Exfoliate: Exfoliating helps your skin to eliminate dead skin cells. Thus, getting your skin pores cleansed. Incorporate either a chemical exfoliator or an enzyme-based formula to your skincare routine. However, when using a chemical exfoliator, be moderate at it. You can begin with less exfoliation then move to moderate after a while- do it 2-3 times in a week.
8. Embrace Retinol: one of the best skin care tips that would be nice to you is retinol. It helps to even out your skin tone, fade acne scars, and even improve the appearances of creases and wrinkles you have. This investment is worth it.
Retinol can boost collagen production to firm your skin. On the contrary, do not go and drown yourself in it as it can result in irritation. Remember to start using it slowly so you can win the race of getting perfect skin.
9. Hydrate inside and out: Hydration is a must and cannot be left out among the best skin care tips. Even top models swear to it for their flawless skin. Dehydration can make your skin dull and make the appearance of creases and wrinkles worse.
So it would help if you aimed to drink sufficient water daily for the good of your skin. To hydrate your skin outwardly is for you to get skincare products that have ingredients such as glycerine, peptides, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid. This helps to lock in the skin’s moisture. Apply a moisturizer in the day and at night.
10. Give tender loving care to your neck: All the beauty treatments with oils and creams, SPF products, facials, and injections at times you engage in should not just revolve around your face stopping at your jaws, excluding the neck.
This is a wrong move as this is the primary reason your neck skin gets creases and sagging. One sure way for anyone to know your age is to look at your neck. For this purpose, if you want to defy aging, you should start caring for your neck as you would for your face.
11. Vitamin C: the use of vitamin C is one of the best skin care tips you would love. Vitamin C is replenishing to the skin. Thankfully, there are lots of over-the-counter topical antioxidants in creams and serums that contain Vitamin C. This helps to repair and restore the skin from sun damage.
12. Do not touch your face: frequent touching of the face can expose it to bacteria. Consequently leading to breakouts that you so want to avoid. Even when you get them, fight the urge to pop your zits open. You spread the infection, get spots faced, worsen wrinkles and scars when you keep touching your face with infected hands. The scourge of covid19 should help get your hands off your face already.
13. Eat healthily: eating balanced diets with enough green leafy vegetables and fruits is not just one of the best skin care tips you can lay your hands on but also consuming omega 3 fatty acid and flax seeds in your meals. These food substances increase your skin to stay moisturized all day long. Moreover, food that has a high glycemic index should be consumed in less quantity.
14. Sleep right: puffy eyes from insufficient snoozing? Sleeping 6- 8 hours daily is synonymous with beauty. You want to get the best skincare tips; sleeping right is what you need. Your skin rejuvenation is bound to occur at night while asleep than at any time of the day, especially after dabbing some night cream on it to facilitate the process. But you should ensure you sleep on a clean silk pillowcase.
This material can help in preventing the appearance of creases and wrinkles. Additionally, it is perfect for the hair as it prevents hair tangling and breakage. This is more like using one stone to kill two birds.
15. Avocados: Avocados are an excellent source of vitamins C and E, both of which play a key role in your skin’s health and vitality. The natural oils in avocados can intensely penetrate the skin to sustain, soften, and hydrate it. According to a trusted source, avocados contain compounds that may help protect your skin from sun damage and inflammation.
Avocados are also a great source of biotin, which is a component of the vitamin B complex. Biotin can help prevent dry skin when applied to the skin. (1)
You can dedicate some time to staying true to these aforementioned best skincare tips that will transform your skin for your beauty routine; it would yield the dividends you long for. Everyone would definitely want to know your secret soon.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Rachael Ukpebor is an Editorial Assistant for Whatsdalatest. She graduated with honours from the University of Benin with a degree in Sociology and Anthropology. She covers beauty, relationship and lifestyle topics at WDS, everything from best skincare and makeup hacks, to relationships. Her favourite music is Lovin’ You by Minnie Riperton.